11 May 2007

A Milestone in Computer Chess History

On top of being Video Friday today, it's also ten years to the day since Kasparov lost his match against Deep Blue. The trailer for Vikram Jayanti's documentary about the match -- Game Over: Kasparov and the Machine -- shows some of the highlights from the film.


Game Over Trailer (1:44) • Kasparov vs Deep Blue

I reviewed the movie two years ago...

Movie Review : Game Over - Kasparov and the Machine
http://chess.about.com/od/artliterature/gr/jay_gokm.htm

...and found it seriously biased. Am I alone in this opinion?

2 comments:

Ryan said...

I also thought it was seriously biased, but it had so many other good features that I was prepared to overlook that and enjoyed it anyway.

We don't see many films made about chess, which is hardly surprising given that the nature of the game doesn't easily lend itself to visual portrayal to a mass audience.

I just hope no-one makes a film about the shenanigans in Elista! I can imagine the pitch to a Hollywood executive - it's "The Luzhin Defence" meets "Johnny Mnemonic" with toilet gags!

Mark Weeks said...

'it had so many other good features that I was prepared to overlook that and enjoyed it anyway'

Yes, I wholeheartedly agree. It was definitely a good film. Before writing my review, I mapped it out scene by scene to understand its structure better. It's a pity that Jayanti accepted Kasparov's accusations of cheating without looking at IBM's side. It would have turned a good movie into a great movie.- Mark