15 October 2012

About to Tripod

The post on server log reports, Most 'HTTP 404' Are External Errors, brought to an end my four year project to convert my About.com material to my own site. It is somehow fitting that this coincides with the end of About.com as a subsidiary of the New York Times, documented in my recent post Answers About Ask.

For my next trick, I will move to the same platform miscellaneous material predating the About.com work. The work is currently at Tripod.com on a page titled Chess History on the Web : Support material. The 16 bullets of interest there point to various articles related to chess history.

  • A Short History of Chess by Henry A. Davidson : Illustration from inside cover (2012-10-22)
  • Chess Downloads : compiled by Lee Holder
  • Chess Bibliography (before 1800) (2012-10-29)
  • Kasparov's Tournament, Match, and Exhibition Record (2012-12-10)
  • Kramnik's Tournament, Match, and Exhibition Record (2013-01-14)
  • Staunton's Tournament, Match, and Exhibition Record
  • Anand's Tournament, Match, and Exhibition Record (2012-12-03)
  • Karpov's Tournament, Match, and Exhibition Record (1960-1984) (2013-01-21)
  • Karpov's Tournament, Match, and Exhibition Record (1985-) (2013-01-28)
  • Portrait of La Bourdonnais (2012-11-12)
  • Chess Informant's Chess Is Chess : Screen shots
  • Chess Informant's Chess Is Chess : Statistics (2012-11-19)
  • The Game is Afoot : In Memory of Terry Crandall
  • Deschapelles : The Chess-King (2012-11-26)
  • Ponomariov's Tournament, Match, and Exhibition Record
  • La Bourdonnais annotates Philidor++

I don't intend to move everything. For the 19th century articles on the early French champions -- Deschapelles and La Bourdonnais (x2) -- I'll move those that are in English. For the Tournament, Match, and Exhibition Records (TMER) -- Anand, Karpov (x2), Kasparov, Kramnik, Ponomariov, and Staunton -- I'll move two or three and use my stats to determine if there is any real interest in them. For the rest, I'll decide case by case.

The work I did on A Magnus Carlsen Game Collection rekindled my interest in the TMER data, but I don't know what equivalent material is currently available elsewhere on the web. Maybe the idea is already covered adequately. Whatever the situation, it looks like my Mondays are still going to be busy for the next few months.

***

Added later:-

  • The Light and Lustre of Chess : Paolo Boi and Leonardo de Cutri (2012-12-17)

More to come?

No comments: